Saturday, September 13, 2008

living la vida loca

Alright, so I'm not living so crazy that I could use that title, but I certainly feel like it. Today, I'm hanging out with some friends here in MD. The S's. They were very kind to let me stay at their home during the ice storm of February and the drizzle of no-end in April. Their home is constantly full of welcoming warmth and kindness.

Today, I'm with them for it's a Fall Saturday and that means one thing --- FOOTBALL!!! Here in Maryland, they only talk about 1 type of football -- the RAVENS. Who really cares about NFL teams?!?!? Now, don't get your panties in a wad if you really like NFL football or the Ravens for that matter. (By the way, can you believe what happened to Tom Brady of the Patriots?!?! In the first game, the first quarter, the first few minutes -- gone, done, out for the seasons. Oh, Patriots, can you hold on to the season without your man? Maybe it's a good thing you were picked so low in the fantasy football world. Some people had a hunch. I still really don't care, but I still love the Patriots. And only the Patriots - the rest of the NFL --- phffffffft!)

Last week, when I was really ready to get into football mode the only game on the TV was some lame ACC game. And then I was going to try and find an SEC game on the radio, all that was on was Maryland!!! The Terps! Are you kidding me? But, what else did I have to drive me through folding my laundry? As I was listening to the cries of the only football other than the Ravens, I heard a name ... a kicker was coming out ... "Gendreau"! How cool is that?! The only game I get on the radio has a student from Orangewood -- playing for the other team of course, but guess who started to get my cheers?! Middle Tennessee State! And then they beat the Terps!! It was awesome.

But, come Gator game time, 8pm, I needed to find a place to watch my team on ESPN. And remember, I don't have cable -- Verizon has told me that I'm too far away from the server to get internet -- can't watch it online. And if I'm too far from the server for internet, who's to say I can get Cable?!?! I called some bars to ask if they were going to watch the Gators on ESPN prime time and they said, "Who? Well, I guess we might put them on ... if you really want to watch them." ARGH!! Not real fans of good football. (I've been in an ACC bashing mood this week! heh heh heh.) I finally realized that the Senior Pastor of CPC is a Miami fan -- he must have been watching. And he was. So, I watched the Gators in enemy territory. But, we won, so all was right in the world.

Today, alas, no Gator game, but am watching with the S's. He's for GT, she's for LSU -- so at least there are some wise people in my new world. Next week - Gators play Tennessee -- gotta keep that wretched song out of my head -- Go GATORS!!!! Beat the putrid orange! And I'll be watching in Gator Country -- at the G's in Altamonte Springs!!!

Jesus could come again and realize that some good was in the world. Ok, so it's completely crap theology, but the Gator Nation would be happy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you're going to be in FL and I'll be out of town. R and I have a girls' weekend at the beach with all the girls-in-law. Enjoy some Gator football while you're here!

gatordmd said...

GGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
GGGGATTTTOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRSSSSSS!!!!!!!!

jaxdagger said...

Welcome to my party, pal!!
Try to follow Auburn football in Jax sometime. Or attempting to follow FSU and UF in the Seattle area when they are running 1 and 2 in the rankings. Be thankful, the ACC is actually competitive now. It could be watching the "FSU rent a victim" league as it has been in the 90s.