Monday, September 22, 2008

Where have all the cowboys gone?

I love to read; I love books.  Last year I had to make a pact with myself that in order to have Lasik eye surgery I couldn't purchase any books.  Every person I mentioned that to groaned with the reality of what that would cost me.  And so, when my brother once offered to purchase a book, even with a caveat, I took it!  He said, "If you read our already owned copy of 'The Three Musketeers', I'll purchase for you 'The Count of Monte Cristo.'"  I wanted to read Cristo, so I was up for the challenge.    

And I loved it!  The Three Musketeers won me over.  Here was a book filled with action, sword play, and men wanting their women.  They defended their kings, they fought along side their brothers, and they made sure that their women were their women.  I finished that book and thought, "I have got to get a guy to fight over me."  Just think, back in the day if you were a damsel in distress, or cut the distress and were just a damsel, and a guy saw you, liked you, and was willing to fight for you, what a rush!  I started looking at every guy thinking, "Could you be taken?  In a fight?  Could you win me?  Would I want to be won by you?"

I've been watching the 2002 TV series Firefly.  (Please note, if you get the series, there are some (3 or 4 in the whole series) inappropriate stuff, blah, blah, blah -- I didn't write it, I just watched it.  Use judgment.)  It is awesome!  They are in the future wild-"west" of the universe.  They fly thru space, finding jobs, beating up the bad guys, righting wrongs and getting beat up in the process.  Mind you, they can be a bit knuckle headed, but how many guys aren't?  The Capt'n Malcolm Reynolds, played by Nathan Fillion (hello!!), is the rough, yet sensitive guy who doesn't really understand women, but he does fight on their behalf.  Basically, it's almost the 2500 version of the Musketeers... only on spaceships using laser guns.

And here I am, 2008, early 30's loving life.  But, I wonder, where are the cowboys?  The ones willing to fight for their women, to pursue the chase?  I've not known many - but those I have, I'm impressed: college friend Aaron - he fought for his woman, stayed the course, even though for the moment she met him she was sure she wouldn't marry a red-head (7 years, 2 kids later); a youth group leader - Billy Crippen -- he fought, fought, fought for his woman - she turned him down more times than not, yet he was convinced he was to marry her (12 years).  You know the type, the heartache, the pursuit.  And in the end, it's a marriage worth fighting for, worth trying for, worth dying for ... hoping you hear Bryan Adams' "Everything I do..."  Might have thing for Robin Hood also!

I never did read Monte Cristo -- didn't have the heart to ruin my view of those Musketeers.  But, some cowboys could help -- so, c'mon.  Get on the saddle, ring the rope, and find that woman to fight for.  And I wouldn't mind if I would be one of them!!!  Is that too much to ask?  

3 comments:

patti said...

Nope...not too much to ask! You will find your cowboy! And he will be sooo fortunate. Did you get your lasik?? And I hear you on the book thing. Can I confess that every year after our staff christmas party I take my bonus and go directly to Borders and spend at least 100 dollars on books. My christmas present to me.

Anonymous said...

A few cowboys are left, I promise. I felt the same way. Before we started dating, Ethan sent me an email and basically said, I want to be with you, here are all my cards laid on the table. I had never had anyone do that before and it sent a strong message: you are worth risking rejection to pursue. Well, you know the ending of that one!

Goes On Runs said...

i wish i had not been such a pain in the ass to have to put my husband in that category... but alas, he is - a cowboy that had to stay the course. we had the "talk" three times before i had to remind him that "we" were not dating..... poor guy! luckily i came to my senses and he was still willing. what a dope! married - 7 years. kids - 2 with 1 on the way. craziness!