Sunday, November 9, 2008

The Fairy Godmother -- finding new meaning

When I was in high school, we performed Cinderella and I got to play the Fairy Godmother. I wore this 20 pound dress with glitter in my hair. I started the show and scared some people right out of their chairs. I got to live a dream of "creating" special moments for people. It was awesome!!

On Sunday, I was privileged to "sponsor" my godson, Henry. His baptism, or paptism as the bulletin called it, was scheduled this week because I was able to be here. So, I'm in Hot-lanta watching a precious baby be loved on by 2 grandmas, 1 step-grandma, and 1 90-year-old great grandma. Let me tell you, the fight between these women to love on that baby -- hilarious! They tease, taunt, and stab like momma monkeys fighting in the jungle to pick the nits off others backs. And the grandpas just tear up to see the second round of their lines prospering. (And all were cheering for the Gators -- we train them early!)

About 12 months ago, while pregnant, C & E asked me to be their baby's godparent. I really wasn't sure what that meant. But, I agreed ... having known C since the 3rd grade, we've been bff for over 20 years, I knew that I wanted to be involved with this soon to come child. And now, he's here. Man, is he cute!!! I know, you think I'm bias (and I don't have my camera cord to upload some pics, but I will.) C actually said, "I'm trying to be objective, but I still think he is a cute baby." It isn't surprising that the g-ma's were so crazy over him.

While at church on Sunday, the baptism took place and we were charged with raising this child to know who God is, know what Jesus has done (and still does), and how the Spirit will continue to act in his world. And as godmother, I am charged with guiding him spiritually alongside his parents. I'm to remind Henry of the covenantal promises of God. And I can't imagine anything more special. Now, as I sit with the little one and read part of his "Jesus Storybook Bible," I'm living the dream.

Oh, and he is cute!!!! Those little cheeks, the attentive eyes, the intelligent actions ... nope, not bias at all!!!

2 comments:

Nathan Smith said...

Um, so you were in Atlanta?????

Debby Sutton said...

I know! I was a complete hermit. But, I thought of you guys!!! Really! I also didn't have a car. What can I do? I'm only one woman.