Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Cherry Blossoms

I think I'm starting to get this Spring thing .... trees are starting to just explode with color. One day the tree is bare and the very next AM -- Bam! Stocked full with flowers! It's amazing. I'll admit, while waiting for the green is the hardest, the flowers are quite delightful!

Last Friday I headed to DC - which I love! - to see the cherry blossoms. In 1912 the Japanese gave the US over 3,000 cherry trees as a gift. Why thank you very much, kind sirs. And now, they bloom like crazy and send the town into hysterics. And I can understand why. My co-workers and took off a day and headed into town. We hiked all around town -- from Teaism - a favorite spot, to the Mall, to the Basin, to Jefferson, to FDR, to Lincoln, and then booked it uptown for lunch at the Breadline. Quite a nice lunch, if I do say so myself. I found the place and we tried it. Enjoyed a fried cod sandwich with coleslaw and spicy mayo on the bun. Yum! We then trekked back to the Metro by way of the Renwick Museum (another new find) and the White House. We plopped on the Metro seats and about fell asleep on the way home.

It was beautiful -- check it out yourself!

Me and the blossoms - at the start of our long trek around the basin!


One of the many trees drapping over the side of the basin.

The Jefferson Memorial

If you look closely, you'll see the White House on the left and of course, the Washington Monument. This was taken from the Jefferson.

The Basin -- breathtaking!

3 comments:

patti said...

Best line, "Thank you very much kind sirs!" SO DEBBIE! Gorgeous pic of you! You are all peaches and cream skin!!! SO pretty!!!

Vicki said...

These are amazing pictures Debby! Wish I could have seen them with you.

Nathan Smith said...

Wonderful pictures, looks like such a fun trip!