Thursday, July 24, 2008

Tea cups, t-shirts and thoughts

Let's face it -- I live in the country.  The roads I drive to and from work are 2 lanes -- the entire way.  That's 30 minutes each way on windy, hilly roads lined with trees.  (see previous posts).  It is just beautiful.  And my cottage -- the 650 sqft of fun that is getting set up more each day.  As things come together, I'll show you more and more of it.  And at some point I'll even post pictures of the leaves changing -- then you'll be jealous!!!

In my kitchen the cabinets have a molding of about 1.75 inches.  I had this great idea to display my tea cups upon the top of the cabinets.  You know how much I love tea cups!!!  So, I measured the space out and headed to Home Depot.  Using the only true means of construction communication -- a post it note -- I had my personal assistant Charles cut my 16' board down to the appropriate sizes.  Once home I got them in their correct places and was quite impressed.  Off Ebay, great idea Donna!!!, I acquired 20 teacup stands  and have placed them all in their spots.  Check it out!!! 

Left side!

Right side!!

Being single can have its perks -- it's easier for people to add 1 extra to the table than 2+.  So, I've gotten a number of invites to dinner while being here this first month.  Not that I mind -- has Debby ever turned down a dinner invite?!?! Only when double booked.  And sometimes not even then.  One family here at CPC graciously opens their home each Thursday to single women -- divorced, widowed or never married, we come together for good food, laughter and just plain interaction.  That interaction is a major need -- it's too easy to just sit at home and do nothing when single.

Last Thursday I wasn't working and wasn't sure about going to dinner.  But, I felt God was prompting me to head on out.  And I'm glad he did.  It was fun and enjoyable as always.  But, I got to meet some MTW missionaries to Australia who are awesome!  Steve & Berenice Rarig have been there for at least 16 years.  Steve helped to start a reformed seminary there, and they are now assisting in planting a church in Perth.  One of the goals for the church is to be in the midst of culture --- so they are meeting in a cafe in the middle of the art district.  To further the process Berenice is finishing up her PhD in Creative Arts.  Her work enables her to engage with people where they are.  So, an artist can converse with her and she can give an informed, authorized perspective on art.  And in the midst of it, she can point them to the Gospel.  

Berenice's main focus is to show what truth lies behind all art, and how we can see the heart of the artist in the midst of their work.  For instance, those paintings that have the one lonely strip of paint in the center of the canvas... Is it only a random swatch of paint?  Or is it a soul that feels so isolated, removed, and without any hope of rescue depicted?  What can we see about an artist regarding their spiritual state, or lack thereof, when really pondering their work?  And in turn, we learn where a heart is and that they too need to be reached with the saving work of Christ.

As Christians, we get miffed at material that is offensive.  I can understand that.  And we'd rather look (not always, but go with me) at the classic depictions of Biblical accounts.  But, those Biblical paintings were often done simply to pay the bills.  Like DaVinci -- did he believe in the power of the Last Supper? Did he truly believe in the death and resurrection of Christ that would enable one to partake in the spiritual implications of communion?  Here lies my questions: if art is truly showing what is in your heart - then which artist should we be more engaged with?  The one who shows what their spiritual status is or the artist who painted to be paid?  And in turn, which pieces truly show us the redeeming grace of Christ?  

On a much lighter turn .... one of the women I've gotten to know up here in Maryland had a bit of a situation the other day.  And I'm going to share.  She received a phone call at 4:30AM that a friend needed an ER visit.  Gathering up her things, and children, she rushed to the ER, helped out her friend.  While visiting Walgreens later for meds, she noticed a rack of T-shirts.  "I need something new to wear this afternoon.  4:30AM clothes aren't comfy anymore."  So, she picked up some t-shirts.  She put one on, got back to the house and picked up the sick-one for another Dr's visit.  It wasn't until she was having to fill out the form for her now drugged up friend that she noticed what was on the t-shirt...


Her husband is not going to be pleased!!!

Off for another adventure this weekend.  The Ladew Topiary Garden.  Oolala.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What was the 16' board for?? What exactly does the Tshirt say?

Anonymous said...

Hahaha yeah Sundee told me that story. So are you all going to get matching ones before the next night out? :p

Debby Sutton said...

the 16' board was to fill up the space above the cabinet --- it was about 2" deep and wanted to get the teacups higher.

The t-shirt says: "Property of 'the indefinitely' Girlfriend".

Scott said...

You're right! I leave for Mexico for a week and look what happens!!!

Anonymous said...

You know I am here for you whenever you need ideas.
I sure do miss my shopping partner.
Matt is with Ben. Left Friday and he will be there until the 16th of August. Give them a call. Maybe a visit can be worked out.