Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Freezing - Florida Style

I'm not sure if you know this, being that most of you are still in the upper 80's, it's getting cold up here! This morning it was 54 degrees outside my window. As you might expect, I have no idea what to do in the winter months. It doesn't help that I'm cheap, frugal, tight-fisted, whatever you want to call it, Debby doesn't like to spend money! I'm refusing to turn on the heat for those few moments of using the bathroom in the middle of the freezing night and the quick change in and out of the shower. Please, water, warm up faster, I too cold under your freezing streams!

As such, I ventured to Home Depot to find for myself a space heater. I figured I could make it work for the few moments of chill that hit my body. And at the Depot of all Home things, I found Dave. Poor Dave. He was not anticipating dealing with me and my non-northern information quest. He did not think that when he arrived at work he would have to answer a barrage of inquiries on where I can put a heater, how often can I use the heater, what is the best type of heater to use. But, help me he did. I have purchased my first heating element ever!!! I know, big move -- $40 later!

Once home - which I will post pictures of soon, it looks so cute with my fall decor - I started talking to my PN (Professional Neighbor aka. my landlord) about what I could do to increase the heat in my house. Here's what I found out, hope it helps, and hope it makes you grateful if you live in the warmer zones!

1. Put down the storm windows. Who knew these things existed? I had to push up the screen and bring down the storm panes. Come to find out I have 2 extra panes of windows. I have some nicks from the window latch struggle, but I did conquer all 3 of them.

2. Put the shades down at night. In the summer, we put the shades down in the day time to keep out the heat. Now, I put them up in the AM and down in the PM. Debby doesn't really like a lot of prep to get things ready each day, but if it can keep my little toes toasty -- have at it!

3. Close the window in the attic! Oops!! Didn't realize that it wasn't a good idea when I put it down last week. Might be why I felt as if the frozen tundra of the north had come my way.

So, the chill is in the air, the mums (I have pics on my camera at home!) are blooming, the leaves are starting to change (Mom missed them by a week), and I'm carving a pumpkin on Saturday. Fall has arrived. And as my father would have said, "Put on a sweater and suck it up!"

1 comment:

patti said...

i am cracking up--- put that window up!!!! oh my...that is so funny! hilarious!