Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Sunny Florida

I'm here, and I'm lovin' every minute of it!!!

Florida has welcomed me with open arms, friends. Mind you it was about 55 when I got here and we had to wear our scarves to Downtown Disney. But, I'm able to overlook that as I wore my shorts and flipflops today.

Hanging out with my nephews - 21 & 17 and my niece - 8 has been a hoot. The boys were about the girl's age when I was last living here. It's hilarious to find them enjoying time with Aunt Debby even though they block me on Facebook. Whatever. I'm not bitter. Well, I think I've mentioned it before on previous posts ... perhaps I am bitter! What's even more interesting is seeing the little one's new found intrigue in Aunt Debby. She's started to communicate beautifully after years of struggle and it's awesome. We went shopping today for family Christmas gifts. At the end of our adventures (you always know one is going to happen!) she says to me, "You're more fun than mom. You do fun stuff!" I did remind her of a mother's unending love, so the correct perspective was set in place. And then the boys and I giggled our way through "Napoleon Dynamite!!"

I'll be at OPC (yeah you know me) on the 28th. It's strange being back at a place where you know you're loved and your heart feels safe. The other day S asked me if I finally felt like I've gotten connected in Maryland and if this is where I'm supposed to be. I told her I just wanted to be where God sends me. My mom doesn't call me her bohemian flower child for nothing. Besides, it took me 3 years to feel I was supposed to be in Orlando. Truth be told, I'm missing Maryland. Maybe it's the adventure that calls to my heart to be where God takes me.


Total side note -- the other day we were traveling to Valley View Farms where a fantastic store of Christmas decor can be found. Along the country roads and tiny towns we were looking at Christmas lights. I gazed into one house and saw just a pole with lights on it.... it was a FESTIVUS pole!!! Festivus - for the rest of us! Anyone up for the feats of strength? Anyone?

No comments: