Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Recovery

Camp has finished - with 320 kids, 120 volunteers, 15 Sequoia trees in the hallway, 8 good sam's meals, and 1 super pooped Children's Ministry Director. I was sick all week, so no chance of up to date posting during the long haul of fun. But, we had a great time. One kid mentioned to his mother, "All they talk about is Jesus, Jesus, Jesus." At least we're doing our job!

I started this blog last week. So, don't let the date fool you into thinking this has been here all the while. I just couldn't think of what to write. Whenever I finish a big event - a missions trip, VBS, vacation, it's often difficult for me to put into words what exactly I'm thinking about it. As time progresses I'm able to note more of what I did or didn't liked, what worked, if it was beneficial, etc. So, camp -- it was good. We had fun, we talked about Jesus' journey from the manger to the tomb -- it don't end at the cross -- it's all the way back to heaven when his journey is complete! We had 5 different folks being our story tellers -- the kids loved it and had no idea who some of them were. Even some of the adults were hoodwinked!

Oh, so I've got a new movie to tell you about -- Young@Heart -- it's a documentary about a 70+ year-olds chorus. They sing rock and roll songs. That's right - the Ramones, the Clash, RadioHead, James Brown -- all are covered by this chorus. Go out and rent the movie -- I got it at the library (good to use if you don't have any fines!) It made me laugh and cry all the way through. I even made my new small group watch it that evening instead of doing any "studying." But, we did study -- we study lives being well lived. People enjoying what they love and doing what keeps them alive.

My mom turned 70 this year. It boggles my brain that she might actually be getting old. And as a 70 year old, she really is quite active. She crochets like a mad woman -- all so she can give the blankets away to those in need. She plays her flute -- it's her act of worship. She drives a blind 90 year old to church each week -- because she can. She excercises each day -- lifting weights, swimming and walking. She does these things to keep active, to keep her mind sharp, to live life. So, in September, we are going on a cruise to Alaska. And what does she really want to do while there -- go Kayaking!!! Yup! She told me that's really on her heart to go kayaking! We'll see how that goes!

Living life -- how's it going for you?

No comments: