Monday, July 6, 2009

Sweet Summer

Summer is upon us.  I do enjoy summer for many reasons.

1. I love that I actually read books in the summer.  TV is the pits all summer long.  So, I get to read books.  Just finished listening to "To Kill a Mockingbird."  Loved it!  And yes, when you listen to it, you've read it!

2. I love venturing out and visiting new places.  A few weeks ago we wanted to hit the falls, but the weather didn't seem to allow it.  So, we went to Union Bridge's Train Expo.  Of course, we really went so we could see the Lehigh Cement Facility.  We were denied in the Cement Facility ambitions, however they are paying us back with our own personal tour.  Will keep you posted. But, we did hit the train depot, the train gardens, and the town square.  FUN!  Here's me at the depot!


3. I love the Farmer's Market!  It just makes me happy!  I have missed it the last 2 weeks in hopes of being frugal.  But, that market just rocks.  Last time I enjoyed some Basil-Lime Shortbread.  Delish.  What I really enjoy is the people, the produce and the crafts.  It does my heart well.  Here is a peach pie I baked for July 4th -- a former farmer's market purchase -- had made and frozen the pie filling last summer.  Still good!


4. I love exploding things!  What?! I mean, the fireworks. I love fireworks.  This year for July 4th, I headed to Catonsville to see the local parade.  And I mean local.  Here is a view of the street.  It really was a treat to see all the hometown folks get into it.  They put their chairs out 3 days in advance.  Amazing.  


5.  Finding new things is always a treat.  Check out this loaf of bread we found at Wegmans -- 10 pounds of Rye Bread!!  Talk about a sandwich!


And Summer brings Camp - it's coming, next Monday.  We've got our helpers!  Thanks for praying.  We have 136+ helpers.  We have 320+ campers.  We have the building being transformed into a forest of fun.  Praying that I can keep my sanity, strength and spirits up!

Ah, Summer.  What sweet things you bring!  And perfectly timed pictures!


1 comment:

Vicki said...

I just loved everything about this post Debby! I'm a huge audiobooks fan-- I can read and get things done! Perfect. I just read Anne Rice's "Christ the Lord: Out of Eygpt" and "Christ the Lord: the Road to Cana". Reggie told me they were good when they first came out and I was thinking no way-- not the vampire lady. Her testimony is at the end of the first book. Fantastic. Never give up on anyone!

Wish you were here.