Tuesday, July 8, 2008

DC - reasons to visit

On my first Sunday here I made plans to join my friends the C's in Washington, DC. Of course, I had to scoot out from church without talking to anyone. I figured I have 100's of Sundays left to talk with them. I ventured down 95 to the closest Metro I could find and hopped on for a ride to the Mall/Air & Space Museum. Now, one would think that taking the Train into DC on a Sunday wouldn't be so bad. And it shouldn't. But this Sunday had a particularly high number of events occurring.

1. The Folk Life Festival -- where they were celebrating life in Mongolia, Asian American influences on Texas, and NASA. Yes, the folklife that is experienced in Space is very impacting.

2. The Baltimore Orioles vs. DC Nationals -- the fans up here are die hard -- and a bit miffed that Tampa Bay is actually beating them (and now the Red Soxs, too). But, who would have ever thought that could happen!??! Oriole fans still traveled the little bit South to see their team.

3. LA Galaxy vs. DC United -- Beckham was coming. Why not go?!? My friend did.

4. Spain vs. Germany in the World Playoffs of Soccer -- at the Austrian Embassy -- they were hosting 850 people to watch this game on the big, big screens. I know this doesn't seem major, but there were Germans on my train ride into town. Some were normal soccer fans. But, there was this one girl -- she had on a tight-black wife beater, a red belt, and gold polyester legging pants. It was going to be 95 degrees out there. What was she thinking?!?! Oh, and a German flag to set off the whole outfit!

Even with the majorly crowded train ride, made it into town to see M, A & A at the Air & Space Museum.


We crossed the mall and went to the National Museum of Art. I don't know if you could imagine this, but I get into museums. I love them. I especially love free ones -- like the ones in DC. It was awesome to drag M around the museum and make her and the boys check out artwork. We saw Monet, Vermeer, Renoir, Cassett - like the one here. It was great. The bigger kid was so impressed that he recognized some of the art work and would be able to tell his teacher about it next year at school. See, it is educational!


There is little that does my heart more to soar with pride for America than to be in the Capitol. It is just spectacular. I love it. And to see it with great friends just tops it off.

Some of the people that I've met from Maryland have never traveled into DC by themself. I couldn't imagine it and hope that I do it more and more. And if you'd like to come to DC -- I'll meet you there. I know which Metro stop to use. But, I might need to check the overall status of things in the city before I agree to ride again!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was awesome to see you! We miss you here already, there is a Debby shaped void around here for sure! Love ya, Marie