Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Drooling permitted

Last week, some co-workers and I ventured to Little It'ly. Please, do not attempt to say that word unless you plan to leave out the "a". Seriously, you must know how to say it correctly here in Bal'more. I know, no "ti" there either! With all those adjustments to the vernacular, can't you imagine the reaction when I throw a "ya'll" out there every once in a while!? Chaos!!!

While in the heavily Italian area of town, we hit 2 fab restuarants - Amicci's - for their $10 entree night. It was quite fun with good food, great conversation and quite tasty Meatballs and Linguini. That was my delicious choice. Upon the completion of our meal we trekked 1.5 blocks to Vacarros. If I visit a city, and am able to get around, I always go online to find out where people recommend as eateries. Correction, I always find cheap and good places to eat. Back in September, I found a Southern Living article that talked about Vacarros -- an Italian Bakery in the heart of, say it with me now, Little It'ly. Vacarros offers a Monday night special - for just $15.50 you can indulge yourself in the ALL YOU CAN EAT & drink desserts!!! OMG! I was salivating just thinking about it.

So, we hiked over just to take a look, but the sweet toasty smell of coffee lured us to have a seat. And sit we did! While we didn't indulge in the AYCE heavenly delights, we did have a few yummy treats:


Here is "Cream Puff Heaven" - 5 cream puffs (each the size of a baseball) with hot fudge sauce and real whipped cream. Now, their eclairs were about 9" long and 4" wide -- the baseball sized cream puff sufficed!


This is a quarter of a Belgain waffle with vanilla gelato, wet walnuts, strawberries and real whipped cream. That thing didn't really start to melt until we were leaving about 1 hour later!


Awww, the cannolis - I'll be honest, I'm not a cannoli fan. They just taste funny. But these were AWESOME!!! They put just a smidgen of cinnamon in the filling. Now there were 3 mini's -- one with a plain shell, one with the chocolate filling, and one shell dipped in chocolate. YUMMO!


Now I just had a cup of coffee with my sweet treats, but Erin lived on the diabetic edge with the Hot Chocolate. TO Die FOR!!! That is real whipped cream, people. I know, I keep noting it, but you don't understand. It wasn't just some fluff from the can with Uncle Hershel going crazy. No, no. It was full, thick, heavy cream -- swirled -- on top -- again and again. DELISH! And it just melted into the Hot Chocolate for a delightful treat!

So, with great pleasure and sacrifice, I am willing, that should you come and visit, I will take you to Vacarros. I know, I'm giving. Giving of my time, my tastes, my waistline. What can I say? I'm that kind of girl!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

They even refilled my whipped cream on that hot chocolate. And filled half of my to-go cup with that whipped cream when we left. Seriously, the cream is all you need. The rest is just filling.

Goes On Runs said...

what in the world... who knew such indulgence could be so cheap. i'm sure NYC could off something i have just yet to find it....maybe when you come visit here we can venture together!

Debby Sutton said...

Oh, I'm coming, Kathy - you just pop that baby out and I'll be on my way!! Have no fear, in the near future, we'll find that Dessert Van and devour it!!!

Anonymous said...

Those were incredible!! The decadence!

patti said...

Oh
My
LANDS!!!



im speechless because I have not saliva left...its all on the floor!